Hollywood Walk-In Clinic
Urgent Care & Walk-In Clinic located in Hollywood, CA
Hollywood Walk-In Clinic delivers excellent asthma care - managing both chronic and acute needs. Consult our asthma specialists anytime; appointments are unnecessary for urgent care needs.
Hollywood Urgent Care Asthma Q & A
Hollywood Walk-In Clinic Asthma Treatment
Asthma, a chronic lung condition marked by airway inflammation and bronchoconstriction, afflicts over 25 million Americans. Symptoms like wheezing, tightness of the chest, coughing, and shortness of breath occur when airflow becomes limited. Attacks range from mild to life-threatening when airways narrow severely.
Causes of Asthma Symptoms
Asthma has no cure, but symptoms are manageable through avoidance of triggers, long-term control medication, and treating acute attacks. Common triggers provoking airway inflammation include:
- Allergens - pollen, pet dander, dust mites, mold
- Irritants - cigarette smoke, chemicals, air pollution
- Illnesses - colds, flu, sinus infections, reflux
- Weather - cold, dry air or sudden weather changes
- Exercise - some develop narrowing only with activity
- Medications - aspirin, NSAIDs, beta blockers
- Stress/Emotions - anxiety, laughing, yelling
- Hormones - premenstrual and peri-menopausal
Identify your personal triggers and avoid when possible. Allergies play a large role, so immunotherapy injections can help desensitize over time. Maintaining lung health through diet, exercise, and avoiding smoke or irritants also helps control chronic asthma.
Despite best efforts, triggers sometimes provoke asthma attacks - where airways narrow, often suddenly. Sudden onset of wheezing, coughing, tight chest or short breath requires prompt medical intervention.
Signs of an Asthma Attack
Attacks may range from mild to severe. Assess symptoms and seek emergency care if:
- Medications provide no relief after 10-15 minutes
- Breathing becomes difficult and fast
- Chest tightness or wheezing worsens
- Can't speak comfortably in full sentences
- Lips or nails turn blue or gray
- Skin sucks inward while breathing
- Difficulty walking or confusion develops
Call 911 and request emergency transport to the nearest hospital if a severe attack progresses. While waiting, follow crisis care instructions provided by your doctor. Seek treatment immediately if any signs of a life-threatening attack emerge.
Asthma cannot be confirmed by a single test.. Doctors diagnose it based on medical history, physical exam, and lung function tests. Be prepared to discuss:
- Chronic or recurring respiratory symptoms
- Factors triggering wheezing, coughing, or chest tightness
- Family history of asthma or allergies
- If symptoms disrupt sleep, work, or activities
- Prior asthma diagnosis or childhood history
The physician will listen to breathing patterns and may order tests to evaluate lung function. These may include:
- Spirometry - measures how much air you inhale/exhale and the speed of your breaths. Asthma patients show reduced airflow.
- Peak flow monitoring - you blow forcefully into a handheld meter tracking highest exhalation speed. Values often dip with worsening asthma.
- Methacholine challenge - inhaling this gas constricts airways in people with asthma. Lung function is measured before and after.
- Allergy testing - identifies specific allergens triggering your asthma through skin prick or blood tests.
- Imaging - chest X-rays or CT scans help rule out complications or other lung conditions.
Review results with your Hollywood Walk-In Clinic provider to create the optimal asthma action plan for your needs.
Asthma Treatment and Management
Though incurable, medications and lifestyle changes can control symptoms for most asthma patients. Treatment goals aim to prevent attacks, minimize exposure to triggers, and preserve lung function. We create personalized plans with these key components:
Controller Medications - Taken daily on a long-term basis, these reduce airway inflammation and sensitivity to asthma triggers. Inhaled corticosteroids are the most common and effective controllers. Other options include leukotriene modifiers and long-acting bronchodilators.
Rescue Medications - Also known as quick relief medications, these are only used as-needed for symptom flare-ups. Short-acting bronchodilators like albuterol relax airway muscles to quickly relieve wheezing, coughing, or chest tightness during an attack.
Avoidance of Triggers - Limit or eliminate exposures to allergens, irritants, substances causing flare-ups. To minimize flare-ups, it is recommended to take certain precautions such as getting rid of pets, quitting smoking, enhancing home air filtration, or using face masks.
Allergy Shots - Allergists administer weekly immunotherapy injections to gradually desensitize your body's immune response to specific allergens over three to five years.
Pulmonary Rehabilitation - Specialized programs combining education, breathing exercises and physical training to strengthen lung musculature and control symptoms. Discussion groups provide support.
Action Plan - Work with your Hollywood Walk-In Clinic provider to create a written action plan summarizing your triggers, medications, dosages and instructions for handling worsening symptoms or attacks.
With proper adherence and monitoring, most people achieve good control of asthma and maintain an active, healthy lifestyle. But the chronic disease requires diligence and care - especially when attacks occur.
Urgent Care for Asthma Attacks
Sudden onset of severe asthma symptoms constitutes a medical emergency requiring prompt intervention. Hollywood Walk-In Clinic offers experienced emergency care for asthma attacks in adults and children. No appointment is necessary - just walk in or call to alert us you're on the way.
We provide rapid, compassionate treatment to open airways and restore normal breathing during any asthma crisis. Treatment interventions may include:
- Oxygen therapy to boost oxygen levels in the bloodstream
- Nebulizer treatments delivering fast-acting albuterol to open airways
- Systemic corticosteroids reducing inflammation for 24-48 hours
- IV magnesium sulfate also used to relax and dilate bronchi
- Monitoring of lung function, vital signs, and response to medications
- Identifying factors that may have triggered the sudden attack
In rare cases of life-threatening attacks resistant to medications, we transfer patients to the ER for additional interventions like intubation. Otherwise, mostfind relief through our treatments. Before discharge, we'll review your action plan and medications, discuss prevention and advise on any follow-up needs.
Call us anytime you experience concerning asthma symptoms for urgent evaluation. We're always here to quickly stabilize breathing emergencies!
Exacerbation of Asthma Symptoms
Patients with chronic asthma may experience periodic worsening of their baseline symptoms, called exacerbations. Common causes include:
- Exposure to major trigger like seasonal allergens
- Discontinuation of controller medications
- Catching a cold, flu or upper respiratory infection
- Significant stress or anxiety
Consult Hollywood Walk-In Clinic promptly when your usual symptoms grow more intense, frequent, or harder to manage. Signs of exacerbation include:
- Increased wheezing, chest tightness, coughing
- Waking at night with asthma symptoms
- Peak flow readings decreasing from baseline
- Quick-relief inhaler required more often
- Asthma symptoms interfering with normal activities
When exacerbations occur, we evaluate possible causes and adjust your treatment plan accordingly. This may involve switching controller medications, adding oral steroids to reduce inflammation, or prescribing antibiotics for a complicating respiratory infection. Follow our recommendations closely so we can restore long-term asthma control and breathing comfort.
With chronic asthma, partner with Hollywood Walk-In Clinic for both ongoing management and urgent needs. Our compassionate providers aim to minimize lifestyle disruption and keep you active. We're always here for evaluation anytime asthma symptoms worsen or become unmanageable.
Don't hesitate to visit or call - protecting lung health is our priority. Breathe easy with support from our Hollywood asthma specialists!
We try our best to keep our cash prices as low as possible, but we do also accept most PPO insurance plans. Please see our list of accepted insurance plans to the right.
Please note that we are not currently in network with Medi-Cal plans but we will soon be!
If you do not see your insurance plan listed, please call us or email at email@example.com and we will get back to you as soon as possible!
WE NOW TAKE MEDICARE!
Worker's Compensation patients welcome. Please bring your claim number with you for your visit (provided at your workplace.
Words from our patients
"The best urgent care in my area!Fast, friendly, and professional. They know what they are doing"
"The doctor I saw was genuinely concerned about me and make me feel like she actually cared about me getting better. I would highly recommend going here if you're unwell"
"I love this place. I have been there a couple of times in the past and I have never had to wait in the waiting room more than 20 minutes... Highly recommend"
"Very clean, complimentary tea and phone chargers, and free parking even if it's a tight fit. Staff is courteous and professional. Definitely recommend."
"Oh man I love it here. Clean, efficient, friendly, SMART. I'd recommend it in a heartbeat... Such a relief to know they're so close and so good"
"... I'm so happy I came here. The parking was free, the check in process was extremely easy and the staff was amazing"
"We are glad we found this clinic and it will be our go-to place in the future when we need someone to care for us!"
" I'm really impressed with this place... I was able to get prescribed for what I needed and was satisfied."
"I can't say enough about Hollywood Walk-In Clinic...this place is a Godsend!"
"Clean waiting room, nice staff and Michelle is great. Good to have in the neighborhood."
"Can't say enough about this clinic. The best!! The wait is so much better than most walk in clinics. Doctors are fantastic"
"BEST walk in clinic in all Hollywood and west Hollywood area... good service and affordable prices."
"The doctor I saw was kind and knowledgeable. The facilities are clean. The wait was only 30 mins"
"I've seen a variety of doctors and PAs and all of them have been kind, concerned and very helpful."
"I can't thank you enough, everyone here is awesome, I felt really cared for and better just from the great experience. I highly recommend to everyone, such great people"
"Great service. Friendly staff and provider. Prices are reasonable. I'm glad we chose this location. Very clean and efficient."
"Thanks for your help today and last week. I would and have recommended this clinic to a quite a few people."